The School of the Blessed Sacrament is located in the Upper West Side of Manhattan. It was founded in 1903 by the Christian Brothers of Saint John Baptist de la Salle and Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton's Sisters of Charity of Mount St. Vincent. The first principal was Sister Marie Josephine,S.C. The sisters in the school lived at 168 West 79th Street. The first graduation was held in 1909. Originally the school stood on the corner of 71st Street and Broadway. In 1914, Reverend Thomas F. Myhan undertook the building of a new church, rectory, and school. Unfortunately, Rev. Myhan died on October 8, 1916 before seeing the completion of his undertaking. His successor, Right Reverend Monsignor William J. Guinan, took over and completed father Myhan's plans.
The cornerstones of the buildings were laid in 1917, and on September 8, 1919 the new school on 70th street was opened. The School of the Blessed Sacrament is housed in a handsome French gothic building with a distinctive steeply pitched Chateauesque slate roof. The students were neighborhood children and walked to school. The high school opened in 1922 but closed in 1967. This gave way for the elementary school to expand and use upper floors.
Today the school continues to offer a high quality Catholic education as was envisioned by its founders.
For more information about the School of the Blessed Sacrament please visit http://www.sblsnyc.org/index.cfm
MC Chloe Hilliard